Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs is a quick and easy dump and start Instant Pot recipe that get’s done quickly. Your whole family will enjoy this Instant Pot sweet and sour frozen meatballs recipe, it has a fantastic sauce.
5 from 1 vote
Course: Main Course
Keyword: Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Frozen Meatballs, Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 5 people
- 1 pound Frozen Meatballs **use small meatballs. You can use frozen homemade meatballs.
- 1 cup onion **yellow onion diced into 1 inch chunks and petals separated.
- 1/2 green bell pepper **diced into 1 inch squares. Large bell pepper.
- 1/2 red bell pepper **diced into 1 inch squares. Large bell pepper.
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper **diced into 1 inch squares. Large bell pepper.
- 1 cup pineapple **from the can. Drained. You can use fresh pineapple as well.
- 1/2 cup Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce **low sodium variety would be best.
- 1/2 cup water **more sauce. For less sauce use 1/3 cup water only.
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch **mixed with 2 tbsp water to form a slurry.
Dump ingredients: Add the frozen meatballs first, than all all liquids like - water, soy sauce, cider vinegar. Than, add the onion, pineapple chunks, ketchup and at last add the brown sugar. DO NOT mix or stir anything.
Pressure Cook: Secure the lid of the instant pot, seal the valve and PRESSURE COOK on HIGH for 6 mins. Once, the cooking cycle is over the Instant pot will begin to beep, wait for 5 mins natural pressure release and than release the rest of the pressure manually. Open the lid carefully and give everything in the pot a good stir to mix them well.
Thicken Sauce: Hit the SAUTE function and set it on LOW heat. Add the cornstarch slurry. Stir well to mix well. Simmer the sauce for bit to thicken it to your preferred consistency. TURN OFF the instant pot.
Add bell peppers: Finally add the diced bell peppers. Give a good stir to mix them well. Cover the instant pot and rest for 5-10 mins. The residual heat will cook down the bell peppers to the crisp tender consistency. If you prefer soft mushy peppers and do add them along with the onions and pressure cook them. Serve the sweet and sour meatballs hot and enjoy!
- I don’t have frozen meatballs can I use homemade meatballs? Yes, you can use homemade meatballs. However, use frozen homemade meatballs for this dump and start recipe.
- Is it spicy? No today’s sweet and sour frozen meatballs instant pot recipe is not spicy at all. It’s sweet and tangy with an incredible crispness from the bell peppers and the delicious sweet and sour pineapple chunks.
- Spicy sweet and sour meatballs: If you prefer spicy food add 2 tablespoon hot sauce along with all other ingredients and 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes.
- Are the bell peppers crunchy? yes, they are crisp tender consistency. We added them at the end of the cooking cycle and allowed them to rest in the hot sauce for about 5-10 mins. The residual heat would help cook down the bell peppers keeping the nice and crisp. They are not soft or mushy in this recipe.
- Soft, tender, mushy bell peppers: Add them before the pressure cooking cycle along with all other ingredients and than pressure cook. They will turn tender and mushy.
- Can I use fresh pineapple? Yes, you can use fresh dice pineapple chunks. The recipe would remain the same and also the cook time.
Calorific details are provided by a third party application & are to be used as indicative figures only.
Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Amount Per Serving
Calories 170Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Fat 1g 2%
Saturated Fat 1g 6%
Sodium 631mg 27%
Potassium 286mg 8%
Carbohydrates 41g 14%
Fiber 2g 8%
Sugar 32g 36%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 696IU 14%
Vitamin C 66mg 80%
Calcium 34mg 3%
Iron 1mg 6%
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 631mg | Potassium: 286mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 696IU | Vitamin C: 66mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg